Schulze Pollmann - new scale design!

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:43:25 -0500 (EST)

Stephen Airy <stephen_airy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How long would you say/guess the A1 string is?  Also
> if anyone knows, I'd like to know how Baldwin gets a
> 54-inch A1 string in their 52-inch Model 6000.  :)

Remember that the string goes diagonal and can be longer than the height.
Theoretically the longest string you could fit in a vertical is.. well,
the hypotenuse sqrt(h^2+w^2)!

An amazing piano is the Charles Walter. They basically crammed a 50"
vertical into a 45" high cabinet. Check out the angle that the A1 string
makes! It's as long as A1 strings in much larger pianos. Although the
sound is excellent, espcially for its size, I still wish they made a 50"
or taller vertical. It would something special.

As for the S-P string length, that was my followup question to the
distributer. Haven't heard back yet. On the one hand, size DOES matter
when it comes to string length. On the other hand, I've been told not to
pay too much attention to statistics like that -- what's most important is
the overall scale design.

Charles Neuman
Plainview, NY