Ideal leading pattern: more questions

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 05:15:48 -0000

Bill/Roger/Newton:

Without even looking at the belly rail felt I can tell that everything is to
far in.  The position of the hammer #88 is well over 5 1/8" and any attempt
to reposition to action brackets and reset that capstan line would move the
hammers way out on the shank in the upper end of the piano.  Which is worse?
  And the key leverage is not great in the lower end of the piano either.
The owners of the piano are not willing/able to go through a total redesign,
and given the plate location, I'm not sure how I would go about solving the
problem anyway.  At least not without remaking the entire action, keys and
all.  The best solution short of that, to my thinking, is to go to a spring
assisted whippen to at least allow me to remove as much lead as possible.  I
haven't yet tested that idea.  Any comments?

David Love