Key Pin Friction - was Heavy Playing S&S C

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:42:37 -0400

At 11:41 PM 04/30/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Terry... have never actually tried to measure directly friction on key pins
>myself. I always find that if you polish them (replace if rusted) well enough
>and coat them with proteck..then they are as good as you can get
>them...and that
>means I gotta deal with whatever that is. As far as bushings are concerned and
>sizeing the balance pin hole... well the same kinda thing applies. Too
>loose and
>the keys are wobbly... any tighter then just loose enough to avoid wobbly
>(grin)
>is too tight. Gotta love those Spurlock rebushing cauls in this regard...
>I also
>use teflon powder in the key bushings.

My post the other day mentioned my method for cleaning/polishing key pins.
I use a shoe lace (sneaker lace actually). I just tip the Protek bottle
onto the
lace which is covered by my thumb. You do not need to soak it, you'd have
Protek
running all over then. The  lace is looped around the pin and then drawn
back and forth.

Ease the bushings with a Key Bushing Iron, ease the balance rail hole with the
Yamaha tool and them brush on dry Teflon into the bushings. I use a
relatively stiff
artist's brush trimmed short.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician