M&H console/damper spoon problem

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 2 May 2001 14:45:25 EDT

In a message dated 5/2/01 1:15:47 PM Central Daylight Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
 writes:

> Is there a way to regulate the damper spoons with the action out of the
> piano?  (We tried this and failed miserably.) Any other suggestions?

I'd only recommend the "quick & dirty" method for an occasional adjustment
but you can use it with what I'm going to tell you later in this post.
First, however, how are the dampers lifting with the pedal?  Are they
uniform?  If not, adjusting the wires will change when the spoons lift.

How short is the blow distance?  Did you *arbitrarily* set a blow distance
with a ruler because you found a measurement in a book?  Did you have to
crank the capstans way up to take up the lost motion?  Whether you did or
not, is there too much aftertouch?  If so, remove some material from the rest
rail supports to increase the blow distance, then lower the capstans.  This
will cause the damper spoons to engage later, possibly solving your problem.

If it comes down to having to adjust the spoons, *carefully* use the "quick &
dirty" method to adjust just one spoon, say for the note at the end of the
middle section.  Now remove the action and place it in a cradle if you have
one.  Get a wedge of wood, about the same size as a tuning mute (but use hard
material like wood, not a soft mute).  Lift the damper rod and place the
wedge under it.  Find the point on the note you have already adjusted where
the damper lever and the hammer move at exactly the same time as you lift the
wippen with your fingers.  Put the wedge in more or pull it out to find this
exact spot.

Now, the wedge will hold the damper rod at the place where you can adjust all
of the other spoons similarly.  It should take just a slight bend inwards.
Unfortunately, I can't visualize the Sostenuto mechanism arrangement which is
complicating matters.  Hopefully, you will be able to slip in a damper wire
bending tool onto the spoon and with a careful bend of the spoon inwards, you
should be able to make the difference you need without too much bending back
and forth.

These kinds of skills are just as difficult to develop as tuning skills are.
It takes only a slight tweak of the spoon to make a significant difference in
when it will engage the damper lever.  That is why the "quick & dirty" method
can work in many instances to make a slight adjustment on a few early lifting
dampers.

Another variation of the "quick & dirty" method is to take a screwdriver
blade, reach through the rest of the action to the damper lever.  Put the tip
of the screwdriver into the cup where the damper lever spring fits.  Press
firmly so that the lever will not move and press the key very hard and firmly
all the way to the bottom of the range of motion of the key.  This will cause
the spoon to bend itself in slightly, thus causing it to engage the damper
lever at a later point of key travel the next time.  Caution, however, this
is also risky and can cause parts to break from the improper stress you are
placing on them, especially in an older, more fragile piano action.

Good luck.  If you need any clarification on the procedure, post again.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin