Spring rail modification, uprights

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 02 May 2001 16:42:27 -0700

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> ... So, after the
> off-set screwdriver, cussin', snorting, etc. of getting them out, I throw
> them in the recycle bin and modify the brackets.

I have tackled this awkward job in different ways but hadn't thought of
tapping the bracket holes.

One way I've done on occasion, after removing the spring rail, is
running a long drill bit from the back through the bracket holes and
drilling through the hammer rest rail, then enlarging the rest rail
holes to accept a screwdriver blade. The original screws can now be
replaced without the cuss words.

Another way is to replace the wood screws with machine screws and nuts.
You just need to drill out the spring rail.

Tom Cole