Air Hammer

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 16:52:37 -0700

I've used a tool I made to drive pins.  I took a shaft coupler, also called
a coupler nut and inserted a 3/8 bolt (of any lenth you choose) with a lock
nut so that you can adjust the depth of the pin.  At the end of the coupler
I took a piece of 1/8 thick rubber (plumbing supply) punched a hole the size
of the tuning pin and crazy glued it to the end of the coupler.  It helps to
belt sand the end of the coupler to get a flat surface for gluing.  Trim
with scissors and this will bottom out on the pin block or plate without
marring.  The coupler is
9/16 hex and 1 3/4 long.  I usually start the pins with a small hammer and
orient the becket hole to be about 1-oclock,  then drive  the pin with a 2
lb hammer.
You might want to drill out some of the threads and insert a piece of rubber
tubing, but I haven't done that yet since I've not had any trouble with
marring the pins.

Since I can't stand anybody having better toys, I just ordered a nailer.  I
ordered the next size so I can just cut off the head of the bolt and use the
nailer on the bolt shaft.  The head is replaceable for different size nails.
Nailer is the same power etc. for all the models.  It's the one we've been
talking about. Price is about 160 dollars.

Regards

Carl Meyer