Fw: One Happy Family

Mike McCoy mjmccoyrpt@earthlink.net
Thu, 3 May 2001 08:58:57 -0400

Hi All,

 Unfortunately we are not living in a perfect world. The bottom line of =
the PTG, like most other organizations, is funding, and our funding =
comes from member dues, so any attempt to reduce the ranks or make it =
more difficult for people to join will be met with silence. The current =
direction the PTG seems to be taking is a drive for new members, as seen =
in a letter to Chapter Presidents last year I believe it was, we were to =
beat the bushes trying to get non-member techs to join. I would LOVE to =
think the purpose is to bring them into the fold, test them and make =
sure everyone working on pianos out there meets a basic minimum of =
skills, alas I suspect the new member drive was to increase funding, =
quantity not quality.
We, the PTG, are now concerned with the ratio of RPT's to Associates... =
when you bring new members in what else can be expected? What to do? How =
do we get Associates that work on Pianos to "upgrade"?, and I quote =
upgrade because the exams would not upgrade everyone's skills but =
upgrade their status in PTG, from Associate to RPT. What incentives can =
PTG offer to make RPT attractive? Make the exams easier? Hardly, and not =
if I have a say in it, the exams are easy enough and fair to someone who =
knows what they are doing, and that is the point, to get everyone on a =
base level playing field. Many who take the exams breeze through them, =
others who have been in the business 10 or even more years have a tough =
time, but everyone learns something!

 Any incentives the PTG can offer to make RPT more attractive will cost =
money and we're back at the beginning again, bring in new members or =
raise dues. Personally I have no idea what the budgets look like or if =
it would help if the PTG advertise heavily to promote the Guild and it's =
members. I don't have a solution that would not cost a ton of money.

 To those leaving the Guild or thinking about it, please reconsider. If =
all the members with clever ideas and business savvy walk away the Guild =
will fold for sure, we need everyone and your ideas, think them through =
and write to your Regional Vice Pres to have your and your Chapter's =
ideas voiced at the board meetings, you could be one of the people =
making these decisions someday, just keep in mind that most every idea =
costs money and we all know where it comes from.

 So there is no misunderstanding of my post, I would like to see every =
Technician actively working on pianos in a customers home or school be =
an RPT, the idea being we become a professional organization, dress and =
act like professionals and CHARGE ACCORDINGLY. All new members with =
in-home,school type service intentions would be Associates or whatever =
title and be on a fast track to RPT with time limits on testing, I.E.: =
you have 6 months to take the written, a year or so after that for the =
Technical etc. All other members, rebuilders and so on would have their =
own title.

 Please don't sit around and complain, get involved in your Chapters, =
get on a first name basis with your Regional VP and make your wishes =
known and vote! All of us that are members ARE the PTG and we can make =
changes to OUR organization.

 Any confusion or doubt about the intent of my note please call or write =
directly!=20
=20
Thanks! Ever Onward  =20

 I'm clicking "send" now and hope I don't regret it in the morning

Mike McCoy RPT
Northeast Rep, Technical Exam Sub-Committee
So Central Pa Chapter 170 & SEPA 190 PTG
Langhorne, Pa
Mailto:mjmccoyrpt@earthlink.net

  ----- Original Message -----=20