More responses needed

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 03 May 2001 23:31:21 -0500

>Because the ribs run counter to the grain of the soundboard and effectively
>transmit vibration across the board (including across a crack in the
>soundboard), there is little loss in tone production.
>
>David Love

Correct, which is one reason a soundboard isn't a speaker cone, though
there are similarities.

A couple of years back, I got a call from a Kawai dealer with a dead bass
on a year old console (don't remember the model, sorry to say, and this is
the only time I've seen this). It was just the bass that was affected. We
ordered a couple of strings for sample test replacements, but they sounded
just as bad as what was there. An inspection of the piano hadn't turned up
anything out of the ordinary with regard to crown and bearing. There were
no loose glue joints that I could detect at the rim, ribs, bridge
attachment, cap, or anywhere else. No soundboard cracks. Nothing was wedged
between plate and soundboard, or between the pack posts and ribs,
preventing soundboard movement. Still the bass (including the newly
replaced strings) was dead. They opted to stop the diagnostic prospecting
at that point and make the piano go away, so I never did discover the
cause. It's a shame too, because the problem didn't seem to be coming from
any of the possible sources for it, and I would love to know what the heck
caused it in case it comes up again. I hate being outsmarted by inanimate
objects.

Ron N