no tunings, no drivel

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 8 May 2001 10:43:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/01 1:07:36 AM Central Daylight Time, triopts@xs4all.nl
writes:

> Hi all!
> Thought I might throw a "new" argument into the discussion.
> I have the feeling most of you are WAITING for clients to call you for a
> tuning, and occasionally calling some yourselves.
> In Holland tuning CONTRACTS are very common: we persuade our clients of the
> necessity* to tune a piano at least two or three times a year, and then have
> them pay in advance for a year. If I don't call them in time for the next
> tuning, they'll call me, because they want the job done for that money!
> I know it's a culture shock for everyone, but I wonder why it wouldn't work
> in the States?!
> Greetings,

There are some tuners who preschedule tunings 6 months or even a year ahead
of time. I tried it for a while, but between my schedule, and the customer's
schedule, it was too much of a hassle.

I also tried getting customers to prepay tunings. I offered them a 4 for 5
rate. (Pay for 4 tunings ahead of time and get a fifth one free. They also
got 10% off any repairs or regulations). I offered this to my customers for
about 2 months, and got 2 or 3 to pay. The rest either didn't trust I would
be around for a couple of years, or didn't have the money. So I gave up on
prescheduling and prepaying.

Willem