Spurlock shimming method.

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 9 May 2001 08:56:51 +1000

Roger, Ron N, Del and list,

Been following this as a reader only so far.

Then Del wrote:

>I know, I know...I'm not Ron. But some time back when I was writing the
>original piece for the Journal I did just this. Actually, it was more like
>230 lbs -- don't ask -- but the results were the same. I put the board in
>the piano loose -- i.e., without it being glued to the inner rim and loaded
>it. Then put it in with glue and loaded it again. The results were similar.
>I won't say exactly the same because of the difficulty of measuring and my
>unwillingness to spend a week setting up a more precise experiment.
>
>There are two problems with applying the Roman arch concept to the piano
>soundboard structure. The first is that the arch radius (i.e., crown radius)
>is much too large, especially after the soundboard bridge is loaded by
>applying a fairly substantial amount of string downforce. The second is that
>the material we use (wood) is not rigid enough to support crown in this
>manner. Even if there were some initial stiffening effect from the arch it
>would soon dissipate as the wood goes through its cold flow process.

While I agree with you Ron N, I can see where Roger is coming from
here. There must be some minor contribution made by the crowned
('arched') sound board being attached to what we hope is a relatively
rigid perimeter (rim). Del's results tell us that it must be quite
minor, and while I agree with Del's comment about the large arc
radius and the lack of rigidity in spruce, the arched panel must
nonetheless help the strength of the board to some small degree once
its glued to the inner rim.

It is interesting just how flexible seemingly solid objects can be.
Try placing a magnetic base dial guage ball-end on the bridge with
the base attached to the adjacent plate (we adjust plate set bolts
using a dial gauge in this position). Then lean on the edge of the
rim and watch the dial gauge indicator move. Even with a heavy
concert grand rim the movement will amaze you.

Fazioli build their sound boards to a nominal crown specification of
9mm per meter (these are [1994] minimum figures). They expect about
half of the down bearing to be lost when the piano is strung and at
pitch. Assuming then that the resultant crown at pitch is about 7 mm/
metre, it follows that there must remain some slight assistance to
the strength of the board which derives from the remaining panel
crown (Fazioli also shape the ribs before gluing them to board - a
known RC sound board producer).

We've just fitted (last Friday) the sound board to the piano we're
bringing to Reno. Interestingly, we lost over 1mm of sound board
crown when it was glued into the piano. Yes the inner rim was angled
to around 1 degree in the direction of the panel crown, but I didn't
check the angle of the free sound board at its perimeter against the
angle of the inner rim before gluing them together. I suspect that
the inner rim angle may have been insufficient to match that of the
panel edge. The board had crown in the mid sections of around 11 mm
prior to installation. No answers here yet - just another question
which may be answered a couple of boards down the track.

Ron O
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au
Email:        mailto:ron@overspianos.com.au