touchweight analysis

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Tue, 08 May 2001 23:59:38 -0000

Attached as an excel spreadsheet is some data on a Steinert 6' grand that
has some problems.  The hammers and shanks were recently replaced (not by
me) and the customer is not happy with the way it plays.  The action feels
very heavy.  I would appreciate any input on solving the problem.  The
customer likes the tone so I am reluctant to alter the strike weight except
perhaps at the upper end of the piano.  The key ratio is high and I am
considering moving the capstan.  The piano currently has a 17mm knuckle and
moving to 18mm is another possibility.  Any thoughts?

David Love