Bridge Pin Misalignment

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 8 May 2001 22:00:24 -0400

Hello belly folks out there. I serviced a piano today (new customer) for
some local folks that recently inherited a small cheap 1920s grand from
grandma. The piano appears to have been refurbished a few years ago. It
functions OK, new strings, looks good, etc. One note in the treble has a
nasty buzz. I believe I have narrowed down the possible causes to only one.
The bridge pins are misaligned, such that the three strings of the note
touch the bridge pins, but do not bend AT ALL as they pass the bridge pins,
i.e. the string goes straight over the bridge - no zig-zag whatsoever.

I can pretty clearly see that I could remove the strings, plug the holes
with shoe pegs or epoxy, and redrill new holes and install new bridge pins.
Perhaps that is in fact what I will do. BUT - does anyone have any slick
procedures for curing a problem like this - the objective here is to
eliminate the buzz - we are not perfecting a 10' Fazioli here. The bridge
appears in very good condition. No cracks at all adjacent to the bridge
pins. It appears quite clear that these pins were installed that way as
clearly no pin movement has taken place.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com