Dead bass strings

Norman Barrett nbarrett@midsouth.rr.com
Tue, 8 May 2001 23:18:51 -0500

Hello list,

I have a question. A grand piano about 5 years old has dead bass =
strings. The customer had a fire in her kitchen and said there was smoke =
damage that she cleaned up. She did not have insurance. It was late in =
the day but I took 2 of the worst offenders loose, ran a loop of the =
wire up and down the string and put a half twist in it and pulled it =
back to tension. This revived these 2 strings nicely.
The sound board is quite dusty but I see no soot. The action is also =
quite clean with no evidence of smoke soot. The worst I can see is some =
rust on the treble strings.

My question is wether looping and twisting the strings is a long term =
fix or should the strings be replaced.=20

What are your thoughts?

Norman Barrett
Memphis, TN