HT

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 08:42:06 -0500

List
I thought I'd post this to encourage those attempting to learn =
Historical Temperament(s). I've tuned several pianos now on the =
information Ed Foote passed out in his class--Tuning To Taste by Owen =
Jorgenson--I think that's right. So far I've been following the =
directions quite literally and coming up with a tuning that is similar =
to Kirnberger (Prinz). It's getting comfortable so I plan to branch out =
and, using the same directions, shift towards the Vallotti-Young style. =
I'm finding these instructions to render the flexibility to do this and =
come up with a very nice sounding piano. For me, this is really new and =
exciting stuff!   I spoke with a minister about HT's who leads a guitar =
group in worship services. He's very interested in trying it. Others =
have expressed an interest in it including a retailer.

Also, I followed Bill Bremmer's instructions for EBVT. The test piano =
was a small grand I've just restrung,etc. It sounds better than the ET I =
had initially tuned it to. There is a chapter meeting at my shop this =
week end, and we'll scrutinize the tuning. Several of the members are =
accomplished musicians. I'm anxious to hear their reactions. I must say =
it takes me awhile to get the temperaments set (aural tuning only).  The =
EBVT took me about an hour, but the others take me about 15-20 minutes. =
The practice is helping. All in all, thanks to all who have contributed =
and encouraged me and others to try. It's very enjoyable!

Paul Chick