SV: pitch rise /was: no tunings, no drivel

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Fri, 11 May 2001 12:18:24 +0200

Duncan,

 I agree with Don here! The climate changes (in RH during the year) in our
part of Norway are quite similar to those Don referes to in Canada, and I
have never thought of relating broken strings to environmental changes...

I have also noticed that the highest wound strings in some Rippen uprights
(made in Holland...) have a tendency to break quite easily (pianos built
about 25 - 30 years ago). The same happens to some W. Hoffmann and Euterpe
pianos (small uprights from the early 1960`s).

As you live in "Rippen-land", this could perhaps be one reason? And of
course: periods with high RH doesn`t make it easier for these pianos.

Richard: the Norwegian sales-representative for Norway used to be located in
Bergen (Bergen Pianoforretning, but before Nils Henrik came into business).
Perhaps you have noticed these string-breaking problems in Bergen?

Kjell

Kjell Sverre Fardal,   NPTF / Europiano
Kristiansand / Norway
ksfardal@online.no