HT - typo?-Yes

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 May 2001 10:46:22 EDT

List,

Ron Koval caught the following error in what I wrote yesterday.  I thank him
for his attention and interest.  Unfortunately a simple error like this is
easy to make when writing and it can cause lots of confusion.

Thanks, Ron.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin

In a message dated 5/11/01 8:34:52 AM Central Daylight Time,
drwoodwind@hotmail.com writes:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Thanks for working on this and posting the recipe.  I was zooming through
> it
> and I think there is a typo.  When you get to the point of tuning G#3, I
> think you meant to reference C#4, instead of D#4. (see below)
>
> good work
>
> Ron Koval
> (graphman)
>

> Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:54:56 EDT
> From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM
> Subject: Re: HT
>

> <<The most important steps in the EBVT are the first ones.  F3-A3, 6 beats.
> Now tune F3-C4 pure.  Now copy the 6 beats exactly to make C4-E4 beat at 6
> beats.  Now make the G3-E4 6th beat a 6 beats.  This will make a G3-C4
> tempered 4th.  If this 4th is way too fast, then sharpen G3 until it sounds
> a little better but not as much as you want, then flatten C4 until the
> G3-C4
> is tolerable.  This will make the C4-E4 3rd faster.  To even out your
> corrections, flatten E4 just slightly to slow the beat about 1/2 as much as
> you have increased it, then copy that beat to the F3-A3 3rd by flattening
> F3
> just a little.  Check the F3-C4 5th. It should still sound "pure" to the
> ear
> even if it ends up slightly wide or narrow.
>
> Doing all of the above will compensate for Inharmonicity.  Now, the G3-B3
> 3rd can be made by copying the rate of beating established in F3-A3, C4-E4
> and G3-E4.  Now tune D4 by making it beat equally between G3 and A3.  Now
> tune F4 a pure 4th from C4.  The F3-F4 octave should sound pure.  Now tune
> Bb3 a pure 5th from F4.  The F3-Bb3 4th should sound pure.  Listen to the
> resultant beat of Bb3-D4.  Now tune C#4 from A3 so that it beats exactly
> the
> same as the Bb-D4 3rd.  If this 3rd sounds too fast, you can compromise by
> flattening C#4 slightly.  If the Bb3-D4 3rd has ended up too fast, sharpen
> the Bb3 just a bit, which will temper the F3-Bb3 4th and the Bb3-F4 5th
> just
> slightly.
>
> Now tune F#3 from C#4 a pure 5th.  If the resultant F#3-A#3 3rd seems way
> too fast, sharpen F#3 just slightly which will make the F#3-C#4 be tempered
> just
>

> <check this following part>
>

> slightly. ***Now tune G#3 from D#4 a pure 4th.***

***This should have read:  Now tune G#3 from C#4 a pure 4th.***