perfect pitch in animals

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 May 2001 11:24:26 EDT

In a message dated 5/11/01 10:00:33 AM Central Daylight Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
 writes:

> Anyone ever run across this phenomenon of an animal seemingly having the
> ability to recognize pitch?

There is one customer of mine who has the biggest, fattest old basset hound
you've ever seen.  Whenever you play any notes in the 4th octave it howls
like bloody murder.  Once you get out of that octave, it is quiet.  The last
time I was there, I asked if they could take the dog out for a walk while I
tuned (it needed some exercise anyway).

Instead of taking the dog for a walk, they just let it out.  It came back
about a half hour later with a loaf of bread in its mouth which it had
started to eat.  I do my midrange unisons last and sure enough, it heard
those from outside and proceeded to howl between mouthfuls of the bread that
it surely didn't need for its own good.

Also, one of my best Steinway customers has a dog that howls to unisons being
tuned in the 6th octave.  I wouldn't call its pitch "perfect", though.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin