SV: pitch rise /was: no tunings, no drivel

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Fri, 11 May 2001 21:03:54 +0200

Kjell Sverre Fardal wrote:

> Duncan,
>
>  I agree with Don here! The climate changes (in RH during the year) in our
> part of Norway are quite similar to those Don referes to in Canada, and I
> have never thought of relating broken strings to environmental changes...
>
> I have also noticed that the highest wound strings in some Rippen uprights
> (made in Holland...) have a tendency to break quite easily (pianos built
> about 25 - 30 years ago). The same happens to some W. Hoffmann and Euterpe
> pianos (small uprights from the early 1960`s).
>
> As you live in "Rippen-land", this could perhaps be one reason? And of
> course: periods with high RH doesn`t make it easier for these pianos.
>
> Richard: the Norwegian sales-representative for Norway used to be located in
> Bergen (Bergen Pianoforretning, but before Nils Henrik came into business).
> Perhaps you have noticed these string-breaking problems in Bergen?

Cant say that I have.... the fellow you refer to just died a few weeks ago...
That was George Silver. He took over the ownership of Bergen Pianoforretning
before Nils, and worked as the tech in that store for 15 years or so before
that.

What I have noticed about Rippens through the years was the tendancy for
whatever that stuff they thought was glue to come loose..... leading to hammers
flying off their shanks in every direction after a few seasons.... then there
was that nasty metal cover for the pinblock... never could figure that one
out... here they wanted to make a cheap piano mind you.. and they go to the
trouble of making a tin covering that always came loose when they coulda just
glued some felt on top at a 10th of the cost... go figure.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.