Ditch the tuning pin bushings

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Fri, 11 May 2001 21:13:04 +0200

You Know what Bill ?... I think I would go so far as to ditch the
whole idea of the full plate. I personally see no real problems with
open face pinblocks, and have always prefered tuning these over
others.. No doubt partly in my mind...but I look at it this way...
often as not the bushings cause as much problems as they are
supposed to solve, and plates that dont use them but still cover the
block invariably end up with the pins riding the plate which is no
fun dealing with either.

I just tuned a near 100 year old Duysen today... open face origional
pinblock... one time change of tuning pins about 15 years ago. (were
6,75 mm, are 7,0) Not a hint of a problem with this piano tuning
wise. And it hasnt been particularilly well cared for either. Holds
like a rock. I have a few Bechsteins I care for with open face
blocks and an older Grotrian... cant really see there is any
problems caused by leaving the face open.

Another thing is I like being able to see the wood. Makes it much
much easier to inspect when needed.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.