SV: perfect pitch in animals

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Fri, 11 May 2001 23:14:47 +0200

Dear list,
cats and dogs!

(seriously spoken): Some of these stories gets me to think of the famous
Russian physiologist (not psychologist..)Ivan P. Pavlov. One hundred years
ago he did some experiments with dogs, and "accidentally" he discovered some
of the phenomena you have told aboat. In 1904 he got the Nobel price for his
studies.

You can ev. read aboat Paplov and his dogs in books on basic psychological
principles and history.  (Not a relevant list-thread, I suppose...)

Kjell

Kjell Sverre Fardal, NPTF / Europiano
Kristiansand / Norway
ksfardal@online.no

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]På vegne av
Mike and Jane Spalding
Sendt: 11. mai 2001 15:00
Til: pianotech@ptg.org
Emne: Re: perfect pitch in animals

Tom,

I haven't (yet) had a client dog react to any specific notes.   My dog,
however, (black lab), will bark at the door chimes, but completely ignores
the sound of me tuning our piano.  My guess is that the tone quality has to
be very similar in order to trick the dog into thinking he's hearing the
chimes?

Mike