Phone bills, etc. (not technical)

Wallace Scherer p003520b@pb.seflin.org
Fri, 11 May 2001 17:52:14 -0400 (EDT)

I live only four miles from the southern extremity of my local phone service
area. When I call customers south of there I have to pay 6 cents a
minute (business rate). They have to pay 25 cents per call (residential
rate) to call me. I use my business line as my home phone too.

A few weeks ago I got a call from one of those telemarketers and it was a
company (IDS Telecom) that offers an alternative local phone service. Since
they promised a 20% reduction in the regular services, plus a very slight
reduction in long distance rates, I decided to give them a try.

Since then, I have had two other similar calls from other such companies,
including AT&T, which have offered up to a 50% reduction in regular
services. But I had already switched to the first one.

Today I got my first bill. It was OK, but those taxes still take a bite.
About 20% of the total.

Anyone else had good or bad experiences switching to alternative local
phone service providers?

Wally Scherer
Palm Beach County, FL (Now switching to touch screen voting!)
Send e-mail (TEXT ONLY!) to: <WallyTS@iname.com>
My personal web page: <http://www.geocities.com/vienna/2411>
My business web page: <http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune>