perfect pitch in animals

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 May 2001 21:56:55 EDT

In a message dated 5/11/01 5:40:00 PM, Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

<< When we come home in my car, our dogs runs tot he
door, expectantly. When any other car comes in the driveway, he sounds an
alarm. The dog recognizes the pitch of the engine.  >>

Our dog does the same thing, although I never thought of it as a pitch
recognition phenomenon.   It could be a squeak or some other sound that
accompanies the engine, inaudible to us.  Or it could be the "way" we pull
into our driveways.  I know I pull in at the same speed every time, same
braking rate, creating a pitch envelope which might create a signature sound
identifiable to the dog independent of actual pitch recognition.  Then
again...maybe he does have perfect pitch.

Tom S.