Ditch the tuning pin bushings

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 12 May 2001 11:59:38 +1000

Y'all

Dale wrote;

>My solution was to fully fit the block with a good plate fange contact
>and eliminate the bushing . .  tunes like a dream

Bill wrote;

>Back in the . . 70's . . 80's . . many people were putting plate bushings in
>Steinways.  The word from Steinway at the time (and probably still is) was
>exactly the same reasoning that you put forth here, Dale.
>
>My . . question  . . is how far the tuning pin coil ended up being
>from the top of the pinblock . .  creates a bad "flagpole" effect.
> Couldn't a well fitted
>pinblock *and* good, hard maple plate bushings make an even better
>arrangement than simply one or the other?

Ron N replied;

>Absolutely. Regardless of who says bushings are substitutes for pinblock
>fitting, or that they are only for centering the bit while drilling, they do
>affect the feel while tuning - positively, in my opinion. I vote for a good
>block/flange fit, AND plate bushings (or dust covers, as Wim said).

The tendency for tuning pins to engage with the plate as a result of
pin block clearance with the plate flange, will 'show up' a poor
fitting plank. I have found, as Dale noted, that a properly fitted
pin block without bushes will exhibit excellent tuning stability.
Unfortunately, many manufacturers allow pin blocks to be poorly
fitted at the factory. Check the flange fit with a mirror and light -
gaps abound all too often.

While I prefer to have bushings (with a good block fit as Ron N
said), I like to have a clear stem of tuning pin showing above the
bush, to a height the equivalent of the string coil height. I have
educated my staff on the importance of this for ease of tuning. I get
very testy when I encounter coils which are too close to the bush -
particularly if they have come from my workshop. Not only will they
be difficult to tune, but the tuning will tend to be less stable
since the technician cannot utilise spring in the pin (slightly ie.)
to better equalise the tension over the bearings.

One other advantage of bushings for commercial use pianos, is that
when the inevitable wine or beer gets spilt onto the pinblock, the
bushings tend to swell like wine corks. This invariably prevents the
liquer from getting to the plank, allowing the block to be saved when
the piano is restrung. Of course, if a 'pin bender' has been at the
piano all will be lost. The block will 'tune' to drink in a big way.
With a non-bushed plank piano - a block replacement will be
inevitable.

I should be working. ' better go.

Ron O
--