Help with my Chickering nuts

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sat, 12 May 2001 09:06:14 -0500

Ron:

I've had to remove this kind of "nut" from an Erard once.  I didn't have
anything that remotely resembled the necessary tool.  I took an old wood
bit (you know, the flat type bit with a pointed end) and cut off the point.
 Next I marked on the drill bit the span of the two holes and cut away more
steel from the bit to where I had just two points spaced like the holes in
the nut.  Chuck it in the drill and remove the nuts.  Not elegant, but it
works.

dave

PS: Necessity is a mother!