Finding the right lid prop

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 12 May 2001 11:12:08 -0400

Friends,

I need help in finding an appropriate "double" lid prop for a grand
piano.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  The piano:  C. F. Stein,
about 5'2", serial 1064, "restored" probably mid-80's, now has black
satin finish.

Currently has a wooden lid prop about 29" long, 2" wide at the bottom,
with hinge fastened to the piano with three screws.  It's obvious that
there used to be a short prop also, which the owner wants added.  There
is a question whether the prop currently on the piano is original, but
it's what came with the piano when they bought it.  The short prop used
to "nest" in an indentation in the long prop.  The rebuilder put a
rosette on the lid for the long prop, so if I can even find a short prop
that will fit the indentation, there's not enough clearance for the
piano lid to close properly.  Don't ask me how anyone could lose a lid
prop; I haven't the foggiest idea.

What I think would work best here would be a wood prop where there is a
cutout in the long prop where the short prop can "live" when not being
used.  Can anyone steer me in the right direction?  I don't really want
to go with brass unless it's the last option, as I think it would look
strange.  I have a (1996) Baldwin parts catalog where a line drawing
(page 15) looks like what Iam talking about.  I prefer the prop already
have a satin finish since I'm not adept at that.  Ideas, anyone?
Pleeease?

If anyone has an idea on the age of this piano, I'd like that, too.
Pierce isn't very helpful.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger