FWD: Sharp organ

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Sat, 12 May 2001 08:10:43 -0700

List,
Anyone care to share your opinion with Greg?

From: greg hollister [mailto:biggiewarehouse@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 6:02 PM
Subject: Sharp organ Q&A

I just had an experience with a pipe
organ which was recently tuned.  The pitch was just
above A-443. I double checked this with a spare fork
and with the digital piano in the church.   All
confirmed my initial finding.  Really sharp.  Of
course, the choir director loves to play duets.  The
piano they use is a 25? year old Kawai 300 grand.   My
question is this: In a situation like this  do we just
go ahead and tune the piano that sharp informing the
church they will have to tune it again and pay for any
string breakage?  How sharp is too sharp?  The organ
is almost new and pitch was not a problem prior to
this.  How much slack do we cut pipe organ tuners?
Thanks,
						Greg Hollister RPT