Ditch the tuning pin bushings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 12 May 2001 12:58:49 -0500

> Ron,
> A good friend of mine had made some Plate Bushings out of Delrin or some hard
>
> plastic & sent me a sample. He was going to make them for the trade & had
> been
> trying to get to do a class at National to introduce them to the trade, but I
>
> don't know if he ever did.
> His name is William J. Balamut, 4200 Arthur St., N.E., Columbia Heights, MN
> 55421.  Phone-612-788-5682.  I thought it was a good idea.  Maybe somebody
> is interested & could contact him. A lot depends on the thickness of the
> plate.
> One thing the Bushings do is to transfer the "load" to the edges of the
> plate.
> Best regards,   Willis Snyder

Hi Willis,
I don't know why that wouldn't work far better than what we're using now. The
problem I see with making a horizontally laminated bushing out of Delignit is
the short grain run length. By the time the hole is drilled, there's not enough
grain length to securely hold the lamination cross banding together unless the
plate webbing holes are reamed out so big that they overlap. There just isn't
room on a lot of plates for 1/2" bushings. A smaller diameter bushing that has
good compression resistance and won't come apart would be welcome. Thanks for
the information.

Best regards,

Ron N