Ditch the tuning pin bushings - One ? at a time

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Sun, 13 May 2001 11:28:45 -0400

Ron-
Thank you for your speedy consideration.  You get extra credit for your
same-day response.
Perhaps, for my own mind, I can try to be clear about one issue at a time.

At 02:35 PM 05/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:

 > How do the 'Lines of Force' differ in an openface block; bushing-less
covered
 > block; covered block with bushings?

The force and leverage thing is mostly an issue of how much unsupported pin
there is between the bottom of the coil and the highest point of support, be
that pinblock top, bushing, or plate contact. This determines the tendency to
flagpole, and the psi load on the block.

DS comment:
(Actually sneaking in 3 questions)

Ron, the "Lines of Force" to which I was referring comes from one of Joe
Garrett's posting to this thread ( Fri, 11 May 2001 20:56:40 -0700).  The
comparison between open face and covered (without bushings) asks to explain
the active purpose of the webbing in the support scheme, if same result can
be achieved without such.  Is the open face block installed in a
significantly different way than the covered block?  The 'Lines of Force'
issue with the tuning pin bushing vs. non-bushing is whether the pull of
the strings on the block in the direction of the plate flange is reversed
by the pivotal function of the bushings.  Is there agreement on this question?

David Skolnik