Sharp organ

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 13 May 2001 13:00:43 -0500

>>>  Greg Hollister RPT
>>

>>>IMHO the answer is none. I would recommend that the church contact the
>>Organ
>>>Tech and get the organ tuned properly, at his expense.
>>>Regards,
>>>Joe Garrett

Hi Greg and Joe,
                         We write volumes about temp and humidity control
on this list. Also lots on pitch corrections.
Our problems are minor compared to the average pipe organ.  A few examples,
 as the day rolls along the building gets warmer, heat rises, now the large
pipes are way up there in the building.  The temp at the piano may be
70degrees, but near the top of the pipe organ 90 degrees is not uncommon.
Ever tuned one?  <G>  The pitch is constantly in a state of flux, as are
the rates of changes, from rank to rank.
Now we make each rank of pipes with a different material.   Percentages of
zinc to tin. Imagine having a unison, one string of brass, and one of
steel.  Now that could be fun.
Now add to the mix some wooden pipes, less temperature sensitive, but Oh My
the humidity.  But we are going to complicare it even further, by having
some open stops and some stopped stops at the same pitch.  Darn the pipes
that are stopped are half the length. and are a little more stable than the
open stops.  mmmmmmmmm the plot thickens.
But we want some reeds on this organ. Can't get a big Tutti sound with out
those reeds.  Well many good organist learn how to tune the reed ranks,
they are that unstable.
This is a little tongue in cheek, but I think you may be getting the picture.
As an old traditional Anglican,  Let's have the Majesty of the organ and
get rid of the piano.
If the church can afford a pipe organ of any consequence, 1-5 million
dollars is not unusual.  They can afford an expert in the respective field
to maintain it.
I know proportionally, there are as many bad pipe organs as there are bad
pianos.
Leave the pipe organ tech alone.   He may want to pick on your
tuning/voicing job.  Or alternatively try and work with him.
Telling the music minister, the organ tech did a bad job is out of line.
PS I tune and voice both instruments.
The cat is amongst the pigeons.
Regards Roger.