Fw: Fw: Ditch the tuning pin bushings/revisited

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 13 May 2001 14:49:00 -0500

>     I don't think the idea of plate bushings is flawed but only that when it
> is used as an excuse to short cut a nice tight fitting block to the flange
> which is what I've come to  assume after observing the lack of fit on the
> Yam./and other oriental types with plate bushing.
>
>        Has no one else observed this?
>    Dale Erwin

Hi Dale,
Have you also observed the tuning instability that is automatically attributed
to an improperly fitted block in these pianos? I haven't. I find the Yamahas to
be as stable as anything I tune, and more so than most. Plate support is plate
support, and if it works without compromising tunability or stability, how is
it so horrible? My assumption is that it's not sloppy workmanship, but a design
parameter. I don't see a lot of sloppy workmanship in Yamahas, nor many excuses
for cutting corners. If all those Steinways are going to have the pins riding
the plate anyway, as they surely do pretty quickly in service, what is that
carefully obtained flange fit really doing in any functional capacity in them?

Ron N