A.B.Chase soundboard

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 13 May 2001 18:17:21 -0400

Joe,
    Thanks for this food for thought. An important little morsel it is too! I
wouldn't want to try and fool someone completely but I wouldn't want the repair
to stand out either. Got to be a happy medium somewhere. You must try and color
the shim somewhat, no? It sure would seem strange to see an obviously white
strand running through an otherwise uniform board.
    Were most boards shellaced from a natural state or were there any dyes used
originally? I've been reading about the advantages of using dyes to even out the
coloration in woods and was wondering if they were commonly used in soundboards.
Every soundboard I've ever seen has had a mostly uniform appearance. I read that
stains usually are blotchy in pine, birch, maple and cherry. Since spruce is
sort of in the pine family I was wondering what if anything was used. I'm
guessing that it was just natural with a topcoat of shellac. Can anyone confirm
this?
    This brings to mind a recent conversation with Bill Wurdack from whom many
of us, it seems, buy bronzing powder for plates. Bill mentioned that they supply
not only the bronzing powder that Steinway uses but every other finishing
product they use as well. The only exception  is the coating S&S uses for the
soundboard as this is some kind of top secret (shhhhhhhhh) formula. This is what
caused me to have the questions from above. Now what could be so important as to
top coats that would alter the sound enough to make S&S have a  completely
different company supplying only that one finishing product? Seems kinda
strange. I wonder if they can actually quantify a difference between using what
they are now (and probably have for years) and virtually anything else. And here
we thought it was the diaphramatic soundboard that made the difference.
    Well, perhaps I've given some something to ponder. Any takers out there?

Greg