Air Hammer

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Sun, 13 May 2001 17:36:16 -0700

Jeannie!!!

Your post piqued my curiosity.

I  bought one of the danair tools recently.  Boy that was an impulse
purchase if I ever made one.  As I mentioned in an earlier post,  they are
available cheaper elsewhere and also different brands, too.  That and the
fact that I have no immediate plans to drive any pins makes that a classic
example of an impulse purchase.

I just went out and looked at my prize purchase (at full price, I might add)
and as I mentioned I drive the pins in before stringing.  You recall that I
use a 3/8 bolt with a 1/3/4 long shaft coupler and lock nut  with a 1/8
piece of rubber to drive the pins in to an adjustable depth.  Now I think
that if you do this with reasonable accuracy and  you string with three
turns there will be no need to readjust the  height of the pins unless you
have not chosen the correct depth.  I would think that if the torque is
acceptable and the height of the pins are even, no further work is required.

The tool has approx. 1/2 inch stroke max and the sleeve surrounding the
driving piston is spring loaded extending
approx 3/8 inch beyond the max stroke of the piston.  As the sleeve contacts
a surface it retracts so that a nail etc may be driven approx 1/8 inch below
the surface.  The diameter of the driving piston will of course determine
the
damage or  detent of the surface.

I bought the RN16-16 and so I cut off the head of my 3/8 bolt to fit and
then it mushroomed.  In retrospect I wish I'd ordered the RN16-75 or 78 so
that I could have just left the head on the bolt and minimized the
mushrooming effect.  I'll call them to see if I can get those extra fittings
instead of having to change the tool itself.  I'm sure they will be
expensive, too.

The brochure by Danair says it is great for underwater nailing.  Perhaps you
could submerge your piano in a  swimming pool and drive the pins there.
Wouldn't even have to wear earplugs.

Happy pin driving!!!!

Carl Meyer