Fw: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Mon, 14 May 2001 01:26:50 -0400

Dale-
I have a couple of problems trying to draw general conclusions from your
observations (below) of two pianos, one practically 100 years old and the
other, 80.  They are, as you say, original stringing.  Surely one would
expect to see some kind of structural deterioration by this time, no?  They
probably contain the type of 3ply block to which Del, and perhaps others,
have referred, however, your examples are not necessarily representative of
the situation with which we are dealing when confronted with the same
nominal conditions in a new, or newly rebuilt instrument.  For one, the
actual amount of pressure being exerted upon the plate webbing by pins that
have shifted over an extended period, as opposed to those to be found
present from the beginning, could be quite a bit less.   It's also
conceivable that the same lose of stability and tunability that could ensue
from pins pulling forward in an aging block might, in fact, be restored by
the plate contact.  Compare that with the cumulative effect of an  tight
tuning pin in a new (5?6? ply) block, with the additional torque from plate
contact, and without the ability to use forward pin flex to equalize string
tension.   These are different animals. I'm comfortable with the former,
not the latter.

Regards,

David Skolnik