Larudee's mystery - Was: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 May 2001 11:53:08 -0700

David,
The answer to #1 is: I do not use these tapered pins. Nor, do I use any =
pin smaller than 2/0 for restringing purposes, unless it is a =
restoration of an antique type piano. To clarify the configuration of a =
"tapered" tuning pin: the top of the tuning pin is larger than the =
bottom threaded end.
#2: I agree that a certain amount of flex is needed and I certainly do =
not approach the Plate Bushing with the idea of making the pin less =
flexable. However, as we all know, excessive flag-poling can be a real =
pain, in the tuning process. My personal feeling is that, if the plate =
webbing is more than 1/8" thick, (which most are), then a properly =
installed plate bushing will help, not hinder the tuning pin feel.
regards,
Joe Garrett
  ----- Original Message -----=20