Fw: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:57:13 -0500

> It's also
>conceivable that the same lose of stability and tunability that could ensue
>from pins pulling forward in an aging block might, in fact, be restored by
>the plate contact.  Compare that with the cumulative effect of an  tight
>tuning pin in a new (5?6? ply) block, with the additional torque from plate
>contact, and without the ability to use forward pin flex to equalize string
>tension.   These are different animals. I'm comfortable with the former,
>not the latter.
>
>Regards,
>
>David Skolnik

Except that the torque resistance goes down when that old pin contacts the
block, not up. As the plate takes the pin load, the pin exerts less
pressure on the block. Since the friction coefficient of steel on iron is
less than that of steel on wood, the net holding power is less. In a new
block, it's not much of a factor, but it's noticeable in an old block -
sometimes to the point that a plate rider may not hold, while a non rider
right next to it will. That's the real world difference.

The subjective part is similar, but a little different. The objection I
have to the feel in tuning is this. An unsupported flagpoling pin will
react immediately to the hammer and string, and when you decide on your
equilibrium point with all the bearing surfaces, torques and tensions
involved, it will be pretty much where you think it is and stay where you
put it. This is good. With bushings, you have some friction and support
just under the coil, so the same set of criteria you use for tuning a
bushingless pin works with bushings, only it's a little less touchy. This
is, I think, better. That's the ease of tuning part. Long term stability
shouldn't be any different. When a bushingless pin is riding the plate, you
get the flagpoling support, and some friction. Not as much as with a
bushing, but considerably different than the pin right next to it that
isn't riding the plate. This, again in my opinion, is un-good. My
techniques for tuning these different set of pin responses differ enough
that it's a hassle working it out for each pin. If they were all bushed, or
all not bushed and not riding the plate, the feel is much more uniform
throughout. That's my take. Maybe I just resent being forced to pay
attention when I'm tuning.

Also, if the pins aren't supposed to be riding the plate, why is it that so
many do? If they are supposed to be riding the plate why is it that so many
don't? Proposed detection of intent being present in the design should
require that they should all be doing the same thing, wouldn't you think?
Or are we back to either lack of intent or precision in execution?
Something here still isn't right.

Rebuilders don't have an excuse on this one, because they have the power to
do it right, whatever that may be, or at least uniformly.

Ron N