Sharp organ

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:51:43 -0400

David I. wrote:

>Well, they should get rid of the grand also and then no tuning will be
>needed.  I really hope the church didn't sell its pipe organ to replace it
>with a digital organ...if so, it is very short-sighted and sounds like the
>salesman struck again.

Yes the church got rid of the pipe organ and replaced it with a new
Allen digital organ. The organist is thrilled with the sound (and the
tuning problem is not an issue.)

You must remember that just because an organ is a pipe organ does not
automatically relegate it to being a wonderful work of art. There are
many, many dog pipe organs that are in need of major rebuilding at a
cost beyond many churches budgets will allow. Yes there are also some
very fine pipe organs that should not be replaced but maintained and
rebuilt.

If you have not heard an Allen organ in recent years you should
really take the time to listen to one. We're long passed the issue of
whether or not they sound like pipes. We've done a number of
additions to pipe organs using a new Allen console and digital tone
generation, yet keeping the pipes. On a stop by stop comparison the
tone IS indistinguishable.

The real issue at heart often times is an emotional issue with the
organist, not a tonal issue. When the evaluation is tone, playability
and stewardship, the Allen is a wise decision...oh but you may be
thinking pipe organs last for hundreds of years but a digital organ
will only last for 20 or 30 years. Dig a little deeper and you'll
find that pipe organs need major rebuilding at some substantial
dollars, often times in the 6 figures. On the other hand we have
older Allens that we service that are 50 years old and working fine.

One final note; why is that when a church buys a digital organ for
$15-60,000 they are "sold" it by a salesman, but if they spend
$180,000 to rebuild a pipe organ they magically are led through the
buying decision process with no sales tactics on the part of the pipe
organ person.
--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.