Contracts

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Mon, 14 May 2001 22:14:02 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/01 7:01:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jfinnigan@optusnet.com.au writes:

> I like many of you no doubt do regular tunings and service for a number of
> schools, colleges etc..  All of this work is done on a verbal basis, i.e.:
> these are my charges they ring me I do the work.  What I would like to do
> is offer these institutions a more professional approach to the care and
> maintenance of their instruments by means of an annually reviewable and
> renewable contract.  It seems to me to be a sensible approach for both
> myself and the institutions involved however before I compose a contract I
> thought I would ask for those of you who have had experience with similar
> written contracts to offer some advise.  Firstly is the concept a sound one
> or am I better off leaving things the way they are?  If you have found
> written contracts to be beneficial how have you gone about setting them
> out, would you offer the institution flexibility starting with say
> bi-annual through to annual tunings with a major regulation and service
> annually/bi-annually ect.?
> Any comments, advise, examples are welcome.  Thanks!
>
> Jarred Finnigan

I have one major private university I tune for and most of the price has been
verbel. But we have worked together for so many years and we really do not
need a written contract. If I have multiple pianos to tune, I give a multiple
piano discount. If my retail rate goes up (in home tunings for example), then
I notify and ask if I can raise the multiple piano discount accordingly.

The problem with contracts is how you can enforce it. Should they not honor
their end of the bargain, do you want take them to court?

I do not have time for court cases, and much rather work with those who keep
the appointments and keep me busy.

Food for thought.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter