Black Ebonies

Larry lbeach@sfu.ca
Tue, 15 May 2001 11:48:53 -0700

Liquid B:       copper sulfa-- sounds like copper sulfate.  This is a
poison if ingested, so wash your hands carefully after handling
this              chemical.

                 potassium dichromate-- very nasty chemical.  BE
CAREFUL!!!!  This is even more dangerous than hydrochloric acid!  I'd have
to look in my data sheets (I'm a few years away from my chem degree now),
but I know that a similar compound, chromic acid, is so dangereous I had to
use a face shield and thick neoprene gloves.  I used it for cleaning every
atom of contaminant off of glassware.  Dichromates are strong oxidizing
agents, which means that it will burn your skin easily, or eat through
almost anything.  I believe hammer manufacturers use to use chromium
compounds to get the purple colour in the underfelt, I'm not sure.  They
stopped using it because it was dangerous.

Now, I don't mean to scare everyone, but please do be careful.  Use eye
protection and at lease rubber gloves when handling these chemicals.

Liquid A):  100 gr. Anilinechloride
>                 900 gr. Water ("aqua purificata")
>
>Liquid B):    50 gr. Coppersulfa
>                 100 gr. Potassium Dichromat