Larudee's mystery - Was: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Tue, 15 May 2001 21:19:22 -0700

"John M. Formsma" wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance about this concept, but I have a question. Do you not
> want the pin to be smaller in the block to give the more precise,
> incremental movement? I am having a hard time picturing why a reduced top
> half and an 3/0 bottom half gives more precision than a straight 2/0 pin.

John,

The question is:  how much music wire gets moved for each arc of rotation?  This
depends on the diameter where the wire wraps around the pin.  The diameter at
any other point is irrelevant to this particular question.

Increased diameter in the rest of the pin is either desirable for its own sake
(i.e. to fit enlarged holes when reusing the pin block) or to get other
desirable characteristics from the pin (e.g. more surface area in the block or
more rigidity in the pin).

> Or, are you saying that it is more cost effective to repin with oversize
> pins but have a regular size top half than to replace the block?

That is the idea behind the pins that I ordered, although the principle could
have other applications as well.

Paul