Fw: Special tuning pins

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Tue, 15 May 2001 23:11:26 -0700

Hi, Dale

I certainly can't argue with results, but permit me to speculate again on a
better way to achieve them.  I don't want to put Don Mannino on the spot, but he
once expressed doubt as to the importance of ease of tuning, as boasted by some
manufacturers.  Ease of tuning is a good thing, all else being equal, but if it
is achieved by permitting more flexibility in the pin, there may be a tradeoff
in terms of stability.  If ease of tuning means that the pin is flexible enough
to be pulled, pushed or torqued to pitch without rotating (resetting) it in the
block, it can lose that pitch in the same way.  Increased friction at the
bearing points can help to compensate for this, but is that the best way?

I think that small pins in an open face pin block is very close to the best we
can do.  Stability is achieved in this design by placing the point of string
tension very close to the fulcrum of the pin, i.e. the top of the pin block.
This limits the amount that flagpoling can change the pitch.  In a closed block,
such stability is achieved by using a larger pin, since the string cannot be as
close to the top of the block.  I am suggesting that the larger pins in this
design could be improved by reducing the diameter where it meets the string.
This also liberates the larger portion of the pin to be any diameter that works
best, and not necessarily one that is constrained by the need to consider the
consequences of a larger diameter at the coils.

Of course the pins that I ordered are not designed for this purpose.  They are
merely oversize pins to be used when replacing 2/0 pins in an existing pin
block.  The advantage is that they fit snugly in the enlarged hole (1 1/2 sizes
larger) yet are still standard size where they contact the music wire and where
the tuning tip fits.  Useful for replacing individual loose pins because they
match the size of the surrounding pins.  Useful when replacing bass strings for
the same reason.  Less costly than replacing the block yet better than using
fully oversize pins.

See you in Reno if not before.

Paul