3M sandpaper

Wed, 16 May 2001 08:13:08 -0400

Hi Greg -

I have used the 216U paper you refer to exclusively for the last 4 pianos
I have refinished, and I find it to easily be the best paper I have ever
used.  I also have used Oxford's Premium Spray Lacquer on many occasions
and have not had the trouble that you experienced.  I have found that it
can be sanded safely, although somewhat gently, after a couple hours with
no problem whatsoever.  Rubbing out after the final coats, though, is
another matter.   At least a week is preferred, and two is even better,
IMHO.

I can only surmise that either:

1. the coat you applied was extremely heavy, in less than ideal
conditions, and still had a soft belly after 24 hours;
2.  There was a contaminant left on the board that didn't allow the PSL
to dry properly;
3.  You are pushing down way too hard when sanding.

It is a good idea when sanding finishes between coats with dry paper to
keep a piece of T-shirt handy to wipe off any accumulation on the paper
every so often.  It will flake right off and prevent any build-up that
will compromise your paper's ability to provide a good, even scratch
pattern.  For the same reasons, wiping off the surface you are sanding of
accumulated sanding dust is also beneficial.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com