3M sandpaper

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 16 May 2001 08:15:54 -0400

Sounds unusual Greg. I day dry then sanding has worked just fine for me. I
use nothing but the fre-cut gold and have had complete sucess with it.

Now, on the other hand, PSL. What have you sprayed and what kind of luck
have you had. What kind of equipment have you used. Have you thinned?
Atmospheric conditions? Please provide all details as I am still trying to
work out an orange peel problem.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: "Pianotech forum" <pianotech@ptg.org>; "Master Piano Tech"
<mpt@talklist.com>; "College and University Technicians" <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 12:28 AM
Subject: 3M sandpaper

Dear Lists,
    Not too terribly recently I read of the benefits of 3M's fre-cut
gold sand paper. I recently bought some from Jeff Jewitt who told me to
use it between coats of Oxford Premium spray lacquer. I found that it
began to remove some material and that material then balled up and began
to cut grooves in my new soundboard finish! YIKES! I waited at least 24
hrs before sanding between coats. Should i have waited longer? Is there
a better way to use this highly acclaimed product? Are there different
uses for this paper rather than between coats? I assume that it is used
dry as it is a paper backing. Is that right? All was saved with a
scotchbrite pad and some careful rubbing. I applied the decal and am now
ready at my next opportunity to spray over it. So far it looks great!

Greg
--
Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté