TP bushings: was pinblock hole alignment

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Tue, 15 May 2001 08:47:12 -0500

I can't hold back any longer. I tune a lot of new pianos right out of =
the crate, before they are seen in public; a half dozen different =
brands. Those with tuning pin bushings have LESS flag poling than those =
without. I describe "flag poling" as that springy feeling to a tight =
tuning pin that seems to torque-wind up before moving as well a bend  A =
LITTLE. This feeling is reduced with tuning pin bushings. OLD =
manufacturers are reluctant to change to anything they perceive as =
ambiguous.=20

When I restring a piano that had pin bushings, I replace the bushings =
with new ones to simplify the drilling process. The drill bit will self =
center in the bushing. I do not add them if they were not originally =
used by the manufacturer.  All of my drilling is done in the piano with =
a modified bench top drill press that you can purchase for under =
$100.00. I'll explain the modification to anyone interested. I am in the =
process of building the drill press sled as described in the latest PTJ.

 This sounds like a great topic and demonstration for a =
regional/national class!

Paul Chick

Wim wrote...
  If tuning pin bushing are for stability, why don't Steinway's, one of =
the=20
  most stable pianos around, have tuning pin bushings?=20

  Willem=20