Fw: Larudee's mystery - Was: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Thu, 17 May 2001 03:13:38 -0400

Paul & All -

Two things for starters:
1) I agree with Dan Franklin that your industry and perseverance is admirable
2) I find it extremely disappointing that the Delphion web site that Ron
directed us to will soon    be priced out of reach for (I assume) the
majority of us.  If anyone knows of a similar but less costly resource,
please share it.

There are a number of things puzzling me about this, and I doubt I'll get
them all on the first try.  In no logical order, and with redundancy and
varying degrees of relevance:
1) I've seen no science or concurring testimonials, as yet, which might
convince me that the greater surface area contact of pin to block is not an
equal, or perhaps greater contributor to the loss of refinement in tuning
than the reduced dimension of the coil portion
2) How might such pins respond to high torque conditions (i.e 120 - 160
inch pounds) with regard to torsion, flexing, failure, etc.? Neither on the
metallurgical terms, what really takes place in pin torsion and flex
(flagpolling).  I know they have been written about in the Journal, but do
not yet possess the search skills to locate such information Torsion
(twist) would not seem to be an issue until we move into the higher torque
measurements.  Does a highly torqued pin develop internal torsion?  How
long does it take the pin to restore equilibrium (?) Would this dissipation
of energy affect string tension?
3) What is the mathematical relationship between X variation in string
tension and any measurable movement of that string?  What physical model
describes the distribution of that movement across the entire string
(elongation?) ? If, for example, the tuning pin functioned as the front
termination, thus eliminating the issue of static friction. how much pitch
variation would occur just by putting the hammer on the pin, or with slight
pin flex?  If these pin distortions are momentary, the pitch should restore
immediately.  With the introduction of a separate front termination, so too
do we introduce friction, a fixed point from which to measure
elongation.  How much tension differential is required between front
segment and sounding length (with X amount of force energizing the string)
in order to allow elongation to overcome friction and return to a stabile
relationship (may not be equal).

I am imagining that if one  were able to control the amount and consistency
of torque in a repinned block, using even 4/0's or 5/0's, a good fitting
tuning tip, and acceptable range of friction across front bearing points,
you would have little trouble doing a good fine tuning.  One possible
problem however,  might be the absence of adequate pin flex, that ever
useful tool in our repertoire of fine tuning techniques.

Then, of course, there are those original pins already against the
plate.  Don't forget them!!

David Skolnik