Procedure for unison tuning two pianos.

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 17 May 2001 18:45:09 +1000

Vinny and list,

Vinny wrote;

>  I am an oral tuner, and will be tuning two Yamaha consoles
>  together.  If I make sure the A's are in exact tune with my
>  fork and with each other, and then proceed with my
>temperament, should that be accurate enough; or are there
>  other methods?

On several occasions I have tuned two pianos together for duo
performances. Like you, I too tune without an electronic assistant
(which like most assistants can be more of inconvenience).

Over the years I have refined the procedure to get more accurate
results. I now set the pitch and temperament in one piano, then set
the pitch of the second from the first and put in a temperament.
Instead of ironing out irregularities in each scale separately using
forths fifths sixths and minor thirds, when tuning two pianos
together I now check each note of the temperaments with the
respective forth and fifth on the other piano. In this way it is
possible to get the two temperaments to agree with each other very
well indeed. I then proceed to tune each piano in the usual manner.
At the end of the tuning I check the pianos from bottom to top
playing each unison pair together, when small errors which are
discovered can be corrected.

Yes I know it's a bit of trouble but I think its worth it. As fees
go, when tuning two pianos together in the manner described I charge
the same as I would for two pianos in separate locations. After all,
the cross checking will ensure that it takes more time than that
normally taken, to tune two pianos at the same location. The
travelling time saved will be used up with the extra cross checking.

For what its worth.

Ron O
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au