Larudee's mystery - Was: Ditch the bushings

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Thu, 17 May 2001 20:16:01 -0700

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> There are two questions I would like to ask. 1. When and how did the piano
> industry/Steel industry decide on the current diameters of tuning pins.

I agree with Ron N. on this, but of course to some extent they still haven't,
since some use 1/0 and others use 2/0, with minor variations in metric vs.
English.  There was a discussion about a year ago concerning the meaning of the
"aught," and that might be part of the rationale, i.e. that they were cut from
existing heavy wire stock.

> 2.Why are "Olde" pianos, such as English "Bird-cage"s and Square Grands,
> that have 1/0 or smaller tuning pins, so difficult to tune, that most techs.
> refuse them?

I agree with Ron again.  It ain't the pins.

Paul Larudee