Tuning pin size?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 17 May 2001 23:41:25 -0500

>I thought the choice of pin diameter was a function of the optimum amount of
>torque to achieve tuning stability and the smallest diameter that would
>reliably resist shearing off the pin.
>
>David Love

I think it's more a control and feel issue. Torque resistance (to the
string) is a matter of how small the hole in the pinblock is drilled,
relative to pin diameter and block density, before the pin is driven in.
Getting enough torque resistance to hold the string is easy through a wide
range of pin diameters with no danger at all of shearing off the pin. The
refinements of size/torque/flagpoling beyond merely holding the string
tension are primarily for the tuner who has to make it all work.

Ron N