Tuning pin size?

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Fri, 18 May 2001 09:36:33 -0700

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> Personal experience shows that there is no functional difference between
> 2/0 and 6/0 pins...that being said they do "feel" differently but
> 'functionally" they are the same.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Both pins hold the string and rotate when
sufficient force is applied.  In that sense they are functionally the same.  But
that's true of 157/0 pins, too.  The fact that they feel different shows that
they are not functionally the same in terms of tuning, which is what the physics
bears out.  Which one is better?  If 6/0 then perhaps that should become the new
standard.

> Carrying on this line of reasoning...shouldn't a pin which requires less
> movement of the pin be a 'better' pin because of less wear of the pinblock
> through pin movement? If this thought is even close to being correct than
> that would argue for a 'larger' rather than a 'smaller' pin...wouldn't it?
> After all don't you have to turn a 'small' pin more to make the same pitch
> adjustment as with a larger pin??

Yep, I guess less pin block wear would be an advantage of larger pins.  However,
if that is a concern, I would look first at the quality of the block rather than
the size of the pins.

Paul L.