Sangler & Sohne Serial Seizing Centers

rufy@rcn.com rufy@rcn.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 13:33:12 -0400

Dave,

This reminds me of experiences I've had with some Yamahas (and possibly
others). When I remove the centerpins I find that they are bent. You replace
with the same size or next size up and they are free and remain so. I've
wondered (as these are invariably original pins, same size as all the
others) if sometimes as an action is being assembled in the factory, workers
bend the pins to create alignment (squareness or travel) in a part. Then in
time, the pin moves slightly laterally or turns a bit as it loosens in the
wood and in its new configuaration causes the part to seize. You try all the
others, and they are fine; then a few months or a year later a few new ones
turn up tight.

Have you noticed if those pins were bent??

Joseph Giandalone,RPT

----------
From: "Dave Bunch" <pdtek@home.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Sangler & Sohne Serial Seizing Centers
Date: Fri, May 18, 2001, 12:06 PM

I service a three year old Sangler & Sohne in a nursing home. Among its many
problems is that as time passes, the centers start seizing up a few at a
time. I mean they will be fine when I am there tuning an a month later five
whippen centers will be so tight you can barely move the flange by hand!
Protek won't touch it. I have to repin them, check the rest of them.
Everything is fine then I get a call a couple months later and there are
several new ones. Is glue leaching through the bushings? Is there any
solution besides repining the whole action? They would hit the ceiling with
that suggestion. Anyone else seen this?

Dave Bunch