Sangler & Sohne Serial Seizing Centers

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Fri, 18 May 2001 16:20:47 -0300

Re: Sangler & Sohne Serial Seizing CentersHi Joseph,
Yamaha has a tool they use to centre the jack in the window, to do this =
it bends the pin. It is used just in the wippens, as far as I know.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: rufy@rcn.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 2:33 PM
  Subject: Re: Sangler & Sohne Serial Seizing Centers

  Dave,=20

  This reminds me of experiences I've had with some Yamahas (and =
possibly others). When I remove the centerpins I find that they are =
bent. You replace with the same size or next size up and they are free =
and remain so. I've wondered (as these are invariably original pins, =
same size as all the others) if sometimes as an action is being =
assembled in the factory, workers bend the pins to create alignment =
(squareness or travel) in a part. Then in time, the pin moves slightly =
laterally or turns a bit as it loosens in the wood and in its new =
configuaration causes the part to seize. You try all the others, and =
they are fine; then a few months or a year later a few new ones turn up =
tight.

  Have you noticed if those pins were bent??

  Joseph Giandalone,RPT
  =20